Tuesday 25 December 2012

Writing your own vows

Whether you are choosing vows from the scripted collection of your Celebrant - you are writing them in history.  Your history.

Can you write your own?  - of course!

With all the tasks to prepare and delegate, couples often cite the simpler vows - trusted and tested - that at first sound so foreign, so surreal, comes to be the memory most entrenched to mark the day.   All the preparations are done, every schedule is coordinated, and yet the seemingly simple 30-50 words will always mark the beginning of all that is to come.

Unless you wish for it, vows will not be an eloquent speech.

It is personal and intimate. It is something you always wish to say - but not in front of all of the world.  But you will.


Here are examples and 3-steps to writing vows:

When you start, think of who you are, who your partner is, and what you wish to give and receive in return in marriage.

  1. Cut and paste from the examples below what sounds right to you.
  2. With every word borrowed, insert a line of your own (if you like).  
  3. Edit with your own inspiration.  Reduce to 8-12 lines.
Practice saying it out loud. Happy writing!


VOW EXAMPLES

I love how you make me feel so happy and loved.
From you, I could not ask for more.  To you, I could not give less than everything I am.
I promise to love, care for & be true to you
To trust and be honest with you
To share and celebrate our life together
I promise to enter into this marriage with   respect for your identity and freedom
And I promise to stand by you through everything together
whether in sickness or health, through poverty or wealth, I give the strength of my love from this day and always
I promise my encouragement and my patience; my honesty and my loyalty; my strength and my love.
I promise to be your partner, lover, companion and friend
To be your partner in adventure, and accomplice in mischief
I vow to laugh with you in joy, and support you in sorrow
I make this promise to you as my best friend, my life's companion, and my (wife/husband)
You have challenged me and inspired me to become a better person.
I pledge to share my life openly with you,to honour and care for you
I join my life with yours as your husband/wife and best friend
I promise to respect your dreams and encourage you to reach your goals
I will love, cherish and respect you through all of our days
I look forward to building our lives and a   wonderful family together from now and always.
I commit to give my life to you in marriage, and to carry you through any challenge that may come our way
Together we are better than we could ever be alone
So from this day, I give you all that I am, and all you will help me come, for the rest of my life.
I promise to share everything that is me,   with you, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your message!